Thursday, February 28, 2013

Analog Digital Analog Project

Well, even after I had done all the brainstorming and narrowed things down to one topic.  I have gone and changed my mind.   I was watching the videos on the blog and checking out the instructions on how to build a Zoetrope and also a Phenakistascope. This was a lot of fucking work!  wow... I could have followed their directions and just built something out of a paper plate, but that seemed really lame. 

The phenakistoscope is an old timey animation (motion picture) object.  It used a spinning disc attached vertically to a handle. Arrayed around the disc's center were a series of drawings showing phases of the animation, and cut through it were a series of equally spaced radial slits. The user would spin the disc and look through the moving slits at the disc's reflection in a mirror. The scanning of the slits across the reflected images kept them from simply blurring together, so that the user would see a rapid succession of images that appeared to be a single moving picture.

I took pictures of an old school sculpture that I had made and then uploaded it into photoshop and cropped out some areas and then I printed out the images and arranged them around the wheel along with some rhineston hearts and black and white cut outs of males and females walking around.  It's all about sex!!  And I hope you like it.  Pics and video soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment