Monday, March 18, 2013

Final Project (OVERVIEW)

Elevator Line: For my final project, I would like generate (infinite and organic) fractals digitally using mathematical equations and fractal generating software, layer them with images from my paintings as fractal textures and then animate them (in sync with digital/analog music) into a very dynamic video installation using the after effects software.

Theme: The fractal is an image that is generated through a scientific/mathematical approach and is mapped out using various equations.  The fractal is composed of numerous cells identical to itself and is congruently the essential make up and composition for everything (both organic and concrete) in the universe.  Through the work, I intend to expose the ideas of humans as infinitely small parts of a greater whole.  But, also place emphasis on the necessity as humans as part of the equation. Moreover,  through the hypnotic and transient nature of the animation, I would like to encourage the idea of our daily reality as only a small iota in the make up of possible altered states of consciousness (and higher awareness).

Explanation of Tone and Execution: 
 Creating various formulas, I would like to generate these images digitally through the use of free (or CHEAP) fractal generating software and then animate these items with zooming in, dissolve, masking and creating projections as well as overlaying some of the images from my paintings into the animations as fractal textures.  This will link my analog work into the piece.  I am also entertaining the idea of consecutive shots of the evolution of my works (as a building up) in the initial 28 seconds of the piece.

I would like the piece to seem more like a projection, or video installation, and less like a film or something to be watched on a computer or television screen.  I would like to employ the use of two way mirrors to refract the imagery directly from the projectors into an installation space (and/or floating screens made from various sheer materials) to create an environment for the viewer to experience.   At a more literal (flat panel viewing), the piece will seem fragmented at points.  I will move inward on fractals for long shots (up to 8 seconds) then quickly dissolve and dynamically introduce an explosion like projection (in sync with the music). There will be moments when the entire screen goes completely blank for up to a couple seconds as well.  I also plan on using masks throughout most of the piece so the rectangular "format" is not a part of this.  I reject the ideas and usage of rectangles as well as the ideas of boxes and frames.  I am interested in the  relationships of mathematical and scientific equations to the organic.  Congruently, I would like the imagery to be linked to the wavelengths of the music in After Effects.  So, in theory, as the vibes of deeper bass are heard a shaking or distubance (blur or other action) will occur in the visual aspect of the video.

Explanation of Objective:
To create a dreamy subdued environment (laden with connections of science and nature) for viewers to experience a heightened sense of reality similar to that which artists often experience while they are making work or people experience sometimes when using good quality hallucinogenic substances or deprived of sleep. 

Target Audience
I think that anyone who truly understands what a fractal is (in a mathematical sense and not just because they have seen fractal generators in animation software) will love the piece. I think it will amuse those who are interested in art and art that is reflective of science, organic formations and disease.  The age demographic of my audience is more than likely 20-50, but the work might be attractive to art lovers or scientists of an older age, and some kids might enjoy the installation as well, but probably not for very long.

Shot by Shot Storyboard:
I would like to possibly start the initial 28 second part of the video by animating a time elapse motion building up of one of my paintings, and then (as the musical intro erupts) I would introduce the firework like eruptions of organic shots from the paintings... which will dissolve into the fractal animations.   I also am thinking of doing some motion video of swirling milk dye and salt in a petri dish for part of the video. 


Here are a couple of selection of music that I have selected for the pieces.   They are very outerspace like. The first one is called "Shooting Stars" and the only lyric is "ALL WE ARE IS SHOOTING STARS" which I like, because it celebrates drug use and the look over boundaries of what is real into a dreamy state of other consciousness.

and I also like these as well.... this one is called "web"



and this one is called "Nuclear Creatures"

No comments:

Post a Comment