Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Internship Research

-->
Internship Research:



I have done extensive research in finding a summer internship.    A lot of the internship possiblilities have been found using College Art Association CAA.org or I have done specific research based on institutions in a given area and/or I searched based the reputation of specific institutions.

I have applied to over a dozen institutions in the curatorial field (mostly), but also I have applied with the Seattle International Film Festival as a writer and Seattle Stranger working as a photography intern.  I have sent resumes to the Henry Art Gallery (part of the University of Washington) where I have seen several film and video installation exhibitions.  While I was traveling out to Seattle this spring, I was able to meet some of the people that work at the Henry Art gallery and discuss with them the photography exhibit and video installation exhibit that is currently being installed.  This exhibit is wonderful in the idea that artists, like Pipilotti Rist, have generated entire environments by filling entire (small gymnasium) sized rooms with video.

             I collated materials and packages together for a curatorial event planning position at The National Gallery in Washington D.C., I have also sent resumes and hiring packets to The Foster White Gallery in Seattle and sent numerous other letter requesting information or asking about the possibility of a summer internship.   I also found a great internship opportunity with the MoMA, but had missed the deadline.  I also found the Andy Warhol Museum offers internships.

I have applied for a summer internship working in the curatorial department with Seattle Art Museum, Olympic Sculpture Park, and also as a teacher with the Frist Center for the Visual Arts in Nashville Tennessee.  I have been interviewed twice and am expected to drive to Nashville next week to interview in person. I have collated a package for consideration to a studio residency programs with the Whitney Museum in New York.

            Although I have not been formally extended an internship or invited on board with any of the institutions that I have been applying with, I am keeping my fingers crossed that something will come up soon.  Carrie Brooks has been instrumental in helping me to improve my resume and also  drilling me with specific questions that might be asked during an interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment